Thursday, February 5, 2015

Trusting a God We Cannot Control

Control. It's something that we all like to have. Maybe not in a bad context but just with many aspects of my life. For example, when I am driving, I feel like I am in control. When I am not, I feel like I am lacking it. I really don't like it when people feel that they are in danger when I am driving with my knees, and even though I am still in complete control, they snatch the wheel! They are going to kill us all! Do ever do that to me! My wheel, don't touch it. If we die, it's on me.

I started a new book this week, and it asked a piercing question as this man felt himself in a terrible situation, even though he was convinced that God had led him there. He said that he did not know that the plane that he was on taking him to his place was "the plane ride to hell." He talked about the despair he felt, deeper than any he had ever felt or even comprehended that a person could feel. He was at a crisis of faith, and the question he asked was this:

Would I choose to trust this God who I could not control? Would I be willing to walk with this God whose ways are so different (from mine). Would I, once again, lean on this God who makes impossible demands and promises only His presence?

Piercing question. A question that we all face in the midst trouble, change, heartache, waiting, hurt, and mission. Will we? Will I? Will you? We can walk down the path of worry (Matthew 6:33), fear (2 Timothy 1:7), doubt (Proverbs 3:5-6), and unbelief (Luke 8:50). Or that of trust, believe, and receive; "Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?” (Job 2:10).

A God that you could control would not be much of a God. He is sovereign and is under the bonds of nothing but Himself. We must embrace that with joy! Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment